Saturday, November 19, 2011

April Love by Ernest Dowson

April Love
By Ernest Dowson
We have walked in Love's land a little way,
We have learnt his lesson a little while,
And shall we not part at the end of day,
With a sigh, a smile?
A little while in the shine of the sun,
We were twined together, joined lips, forgot
How the shadows fall when the day is done,
And when Love is not.
We have made no vows--there will none be broke,
Our love was free as the wind on the hill,
There was no word said we need wish unspoke,
We have wrought no ill.
So shall we not part at the end of day,
Who have loved and lingered a little while,
Join lips for the last time, go our way,
With a sigh, a smile?

I chose this poem to memorize and recite in front of the class. I would say the first reason I decided on this one was because I liked the way it sounded. It is pretty and light. It makes me smile. I did not have to think about its meaning too much. I enjoy being able to read a poem and understand its meaning right away. I do not enjoy the task of picking apart a poem until finally I think I know what the author is trying to say. I liked that I could take the poem for face value. It was not dark or haunting. It was beautiful. It was perfect for me. I will admit it was easy to memorize but I did not realize this until after I picked it.

Dowson describes a one time only affair. "We have made no vows--there will none be broke," refers to the fact that neither person has promised the other anything. No one will be disappointed or held to anything once this day is over. The people are free to go on their way. The poem was very unexpected for the time in which it was written. There are mentions of public displays of affection which were very bold for the Victorian era.

My favorite part of the poem is the ending. It all ends with a smile. The two people seem to be happy and content at the end. The question mark makes the reader wonder if there is more to come. Maybe this isn't all there is, the couple may meet again. They do not know what the future will bring. The question mark allows the reader's imagination to work. I can imagine what I want to happen. I can pick my own ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment